Friday, June 17, 2011

108


Every place has something. Snow, rain, tornadoes, earthquakes, UFO's. Arizona has heat. It is mid June and seeing 108 as the temperature when we get into the car is normal. Recently, every day is over 100 and the talk about town is that this year is cool. Seriously. The real heat has yet to come. I can't say that I am a fan of hot, but I think the idea of 108 in the desert is worse than it actually is and the intensity is actually intriguing.

The only way to survive the summer is to be in the water, they say. I openly admit that before opportunity called us here, Arizona was firmly on the bottom of my list of places to live. If anyone had told me that I would be regularly hanging around my new social group sporting my swim suit, I would have said they were nuts. But guess what? It is part of my new summer wardrobe and unlike the cat of my former self, I immerse myself.

I am all about cool and fun, but I can't help but think about the people who have lived here for centuries. It has always been hot here. I think that there is something to say for adjusting to one's environment and somehow I don't see that happening with sparkling pools and climate control. I am a fan of adaptation. There is life out there; a whole ecosystem that sustained ancient cultures. Some deep research and observation is in order and the immersion shall go beyond the kiddy pool.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Makes you wonder what people did before A/C.

I have one word for you... "adobe".