Friday, December 12, 2008

The Riding Lesson



Stick around long enough, and you are bound to hear me calling out for my girls to slow down, watch out, or be careful. I do believe that one of the first Spanish words my oldest daughter learned was cuidado (careful). Equipped with a great since of humor, she has lovingly given me the title of "chicken mama." It's true, I can be a little over protective. So, one can only imagine my thrill when it became apparent that horses were to be a part of my girls lives. Call me crazy, but taking up a hobby involving massive animals that tend to kick backward sounds excessively hazardous.

My own worries aside, it was still very important for my husband and I to make sure that our daughter learned to ride horses under the safest possible conditions. We were very happy when our friend Brenda Nasse had her ring at Establo San Rafael ready. A big, flat, enclosed area covered in a thick layer of sand sounded like a good way to start off. Brenda also has a wide variety of horses, and we appreciated knowing that our little girl would be able to start out on an easy going, predictable horse. Congo, as he is called, is an old gelding who has just enough pep to make the ride fun for our daughter, and enough years behind him to not spook at just anything.

Brenda’s own experience and passion for horses is really incredible, and we feel privileged to have her as our daughter’s instructor. Not only is the pace slow, and the environment controlled and safe, Brenda is also teaching her how to communicate with the horse she is riding. For Brenda, it is much more about perfecting each step and working up to bigger things, than pushing riders to do fancy stunts before they are ready. Each time I observe a lesson, and see my little girl working with these big beasts, I beam with pride at her accomplishment. Dangers are everywhere, and watching my baby pursue her passion with horses in such a great place reminds me that often the reward only comes after the risk.

If you live in Costa Rica, or are planning a visit and would like to know more about Brenda, her horses and the many activities she offers throughout the year at Establo San Rafael, please feel free to visit her website: www.establosanrafael.com

No comments: